Congratulations on choosing to participate in a homestay organized by the American Homestay Network (AHN). This Homestay Policy sets out the guidelines and expectations for behavior that apply to guests and hosts participating in a homestay, and it should be read together with the AHN Host Agreement and AHN Guest Agreement, as applicable.
All capitalized terms have the same meaning as defined in the agreements, and the terms of the agreements will apply to the extent of any inconsistency with this policy.
Please read through this policy carefully and contact us at/on firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Both hosts and guests must:
As an AHN homestay guest you must:
1. Cover certain costs. You should ask your hosts’ permission before using their telephone or internet services and expect to pay the cost of your telephone calls. You will also be expected to cover your own travel, entertainment, and medical expenses as well as any other personal costs that come up during your homestay. If you cause any damage to the home, you will be expected to pay for repairs.
2. Comply with any reasonable ‘house rules’ the host gives you. These may include:
(a) Keeping your room tidy;
(b) Assisting with minor chores;
(c) Following the state and/or federal guidelines for recycling and disposal of waste products
(d) Using resources such as water and electricity responsibly;
(e) Keeping noise to a minimum;
(f) Attending meal times promptly; and preparing your own breakfast and lunch if required
(g) Being polite and considerate at all times.
(h) Keeping Host advised of your schedule and activities.
3. Pay your homestay fees by the due date. AHN will send you an invoice at regular intervals to continue in homestay. It is important that your fees are paid by the due date so that there are no delays with paying your host. Fees are reviewed annually and published on the AHN website. Guests who are in a current placement will be notified of fee increases effective to them. Direct financial transactions associated with accommodations between the guest and the host are strictly prohibited. AHN-USA will terminate its relationship with any host that violates this policy. Any placement that is terminated for this reason will be reported to the educational institution and placement agent.
4. Be sensible and safe. This means immediately contacting AHN or your host if you have concerns regarding your health or welfare. You must disclose any illnesses you suffer from before arriving in Australia. Ensure you are up to date with the recommended vaccinations. Store valuables such as money, passport airline tickets and other important items in a safe place. Always ask your host’s permission before inviting any other person to the host’s home for any period of time. Ask permission of your host before taking alcohol or marijuana into their home (alcohol is legal only if you are over the age of 21, marijuana is legal only in some states if you are over 21 years of age)
(a) Smoking without permission in your host home means you will be asked to leave the homestay and may not receive a refund
(b) Drinking alcohol or consuming any form of marijuana (in states where marijuana is legal) under the age of 21 means you will be asked to leave the homestay without a refund
5. Stay in contact. Log in to your AHN user profile to check any alerts and answer any messages as soon as possible. AHN reserves the right to remove any defamatory or personal information you post in relation to the homestay. You must also communicate daily with your host about your activities and notify your host if you will be away from the home during a mealtime or overnight. Contact AHN immediately if you feel uncomfortable or unsafe in your homestay environment.
6. Not violate any copyright laws. It is illegal to download any copyrighted works via unauthorised streaming services or websites. Use of the host’s internet is strictly for educational purposes only. Use of the internet service in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of AHN policy and the internet provider’s acceptable use policy and may result in termination of your placement and the hosts’ internet service.
As an AHN homestay host you must:
a) Only hosting other guests, or students of any institution, that are the same gender as your guest;
b) Ensure the guest is not travelling by public transport late at night, hosts should pick guests up from late night school events or encourage them to take a taxi
c) Notifying the education provider if your guest will be absent for the day and notifying AHN if you believe there has been excessive non-attendance at the education provider;
d) Keep AHN informed of any issues or concerns relating to the guest
e) Never leave your guest alone at home overnight or without an approved adult who has a current background check and always provide AHN with at least two weeks’ notice if you will be going on holidays without your student so that a suitable temporary homestay can be arranged
f) Immediately notify AHN of any incident or allegation of child abuse
g) Adhere to all additional responsibilities required by AHN and / or the school when hosting a student under the full year high school program
10. Help AHN make the homestay as enjoyable as possible. This means regularly logging into your AHN user profile and responding to messages as soon as possible. You must update AHN immediately with any changes to your home, your capacity to provide a safe and supportive environment for your guest, or any concerns you have about your guest. You may be asked to assist AHN in reminding your guest to make payments to AHN at the time and by the method set out in their AHN Guest Agreement. AHN does not permit hosts to collect funds directly from the student. If a host should enter into a private arrangement with a student, they will no longer be eligible to host for AHN.
Jan 12, 2018 - Copyright © 2018 - Homestay Management System