Note: This policy is subject to change at any time. Please check all AHN Policies on a regular basis for updates.
AHN is responsible for managing the expectations of the student, host and other related parties with respect to maximizing the opportunity for a successful Homestay Placement.
It is important that all parties are clear on the relevant refund and associated policies regarding these processes.
Homestay fees for our High School Program are generally made up of a deposit (equal to 6 weeks homestay) and a balance (equal to 36 weeks homestay). The deposit invoice must be paid for us to start the matching process and provide 2 host choices. Once a host has been chosen, we will issue an invoice for the balance which must be paid in full at least 4 weeks before the student’s arrival into homestay.
If we are unable to provide 2 host options within 60 minutes travel of your school, we will refund your deposit in full. If we provide 2 host options* and you are unable to make a suitable host selection from the choices provided by AHN we will refund your deposit less a $500 administration fee to cover our expenses.
*Requests for additional host family profiles may result in additional fees. American Homestay Network does not discriminate against any host families in our registry based on age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, and marriage or family status.
Once a host match has been confirmed the following fees will apply to any cancellations or changes.
If you cancel your placement prior to arrival the deposit, or the equivalent of 6 weeks homestay fees plus any deposit for additional services, is not refundable. All remaining homestay fees will be refunded in full.
In the event a student does not arrive in the US due to a visa rejection (at least three attempts of visa interview required), all fees will be refunded if the guest has provided a minimum of three business days’ notice. If the required notice is not provided, the standard pre-arrival cancellation policy will apply.
Pre-arrival Changes or Delays:
If a student is unable to arrive by their intended start date due to a Visa delay or course change, the guest may defer their placement until Visa approval is granted, or the course is rescheduled.
If AHN is advised in writing of these changes a minimum of three business days prior to arrival, there will be no charge for this change. All fees will be transferred to the new placement.
If AHN is not advised in writing of these changes a minimum of three business days prior to arrival, the student may be required to pay additional fees equal to two weeks of homestay to secure a new placement.
All other changes or delays will be subject to the same notice periods and penalties as detailed in the cancellation policy.
Cancellations after Arrival:
Once a homestay placement has commenced, AHN cannot refund any fees if a student is unable to complete the homestay program.
Note: Students must obtain approval from the parents and Designated Guardian in the USA prior to leaving the program.
Changes after Arrival:
If a student is unhappy with their chosen homestay family, they should contact AHN to discuss.
AHN will liaise with the student and host to try to rectify any concerns and assist through the ‘settling in’ period
After AHN mediation, if it is deemed necessary to move the student to another host family, AHN will take all reasonable steps to make this process as easy as possible. In most cases it will be necessary to give the current host two weeks’ notice before moving a student, this also gives AHN enough time to find a suitable alternative. The student will be charged a $350 Matching Fee for AHN to find a new homestay. This applies to each new placement a Student requests. Fees equivalent to the notice period may apply if adequate notice is not given.
If a homestay placement needs to be cancelled due to an AHN policy breach by the Host, AHN will arrange placement with a new Host family.
If AHN is required to transfer a Student’s homestay placement more than three times and there has been no AHN policy breach by the Host/s, AHN reserves the right to discontinue its services for the Student.
No cash refunds will be processed. If the original payment was made by credit card, we will refund back to the same card. A service charge may be deducted from the refund total. The charges are 30c + 2.9% for USA credit Cards, International credit cards are charged 30c + 3.9%. If payment was not made by credit card, approved refunds will be deposited into a domestic American bank account.If no American bank account is available, we will refund via wire/telegraphic transfer to a foreign account.A $45.00 US service charge will be deducted from refund total.
Airport Pickup/Drop Off Policy
● The Guest is required to contact AHN as soon as they are aware of delays to their scheduled flight and/or their arrival information.
● AHN tracks the flights online: if they are made aware of a flight delay at least an hour before the original flight landing time, they will wait another two hours (or until the delayed plane lands at the airport.)
● If airport pickup has been booked and the Guest misses their flight or fails to provide updated arrival information, then there will be no refund or credit for the unused transportation. After business hours* this notice must be provided via phone and email.
● There will be no charge for changes if notice is given at least an hour before the original flight landing time. Afterhours this notice must be provided via phone and not email.
● The guest will need to pay for a new booking if pick up is required at another time.
● The instructions for meeting the driver at the airport will be detailed on the Guest’s arrival report. If the Guest has not met the driver at the designated location within the expected time frame, the driver will leave the airport and the cost of the prepaid APU will be non-refundable. The Guest will be required to pay again if the driver needs to return to the airport to pick them up.
● If the Guest finds an alternate way to/from the homestay, there will be no refund or credit given for unused airport pick up services.
*Note: Business hours are between 9.00am and 5.00pm in the local time of the AHN office the Guest is assigned to.Late/Early Arrival/Departure Fees will apply for airport transport before 8am or after 8pm.Late Airport Notification Fee will apply for arrivals and departures given less than 2 weeks’ notice.
Date Reviewed: April 2020