AHN Host Family Standards of Guest Care
All AHN, employees, contractors, volunteers, family members or host family members must respect the rights and inherent dignity of every person and will be held accountable for their behavior. In order to maintain the highest level of accountability, there must be a clear and unambiguous blueprint of appropriate and inappropriate behavior for those who are involved with students. The intent of the Standards of Guest Care is to provide a set of normative standards of conduct for all persons associated with AHN, including members of the host family that are of 18 years or older and reside within the home, hereinafter referred to individually as (“AHN community members,”) regarding contact with guests.
While the Standards of Guest Care is not exhaustive in the variety of situations specifically mentioned, all AHN community members must comply with the following obligations:
- I understand the difference between lawful and unlawful conduct with minors.
- I will maintain an open and trustworthy relationship with guests.
- I understand the appropriate and inappropriate behaviors that are defined below, and I also understand that the following list is non-inclusive:
- When in the same room, alone with a guest, the door must be left open,
- Appropriate verbal praise and positive reinforcement.
- Sharing sleeping quarters with guests, unless while traveling accommodations are barracks-style with multiple adults and multiple guests in the same room, each individual having a separate bed,
- Accompanying a minor guest into restrooms without another adult present unless circumstances make it absolutely unavoidable,
- Using physical force or blocking the guest physically,
- Sexually provocative or degrading comments or jokes,
- Intimate, unwanted romantic or sexual contact,
- Threatening or yelling,
- Abusive statements such as those referencing race, ethnicity, religion, nationality, gender, age, sex, or sexual orientation,
- Showing pornography to guests or involving guests in pornographic or sexual activities.
- I will maintain a nurturing environment that is free from physical, psychological, written or verbal intimidation or harassment. I understand and promise to abide by the Standards of Guest Care. Failure to do so will result in termination of relations with AHN. If for any reason I cannot abide by the Standards of Student Care, I will notify AHN. These Standards are to be agreed upon by all AHN community members.
Date Reviewed: April 2020